Saturday 29 March 2014

New Year's Day is better than christmas. It's better than my birthday, any bank holiday Monday or any other holiday we celebrate in the UK. I dare say it's better than the holidays we jealously covert that our American cousins indulge such as Independence Day or Thanksgiving.
For me, the best is good old January the 1st, the day when a new year list begins!!! Suddenly birds that you had (through no fault of your own) become complacent about, are marvellous! Typical comments on this fine occasion are "oh look, a Dunnock!" or  "cool, Greenfinch!". I'm not being derogatory about these birds, it's just the way of things, a Blackbird in December can't compete with a Snow Bunting.
But alas, my 2014 year list began as 2013 had, at my own kitchen window, surveying my garden! The first bird ensnared by my gaze was a Blue Tit, followed quickly by a Starling. By the time my wife had dressed for the day and announced she would rather go out than sit in the kitchen, I had accrued a list of 14 birds! The pick of the bunch, a flyover Sparrowhawk!!! It has to be said, that these are my absolute favourite bird, with their perma angry look and generally aggressive demeanour. Inquiring as to where she had in mind, she announced South Weald Country Park. It's local, beautiful and chock full of woodland birds and wildfowl. I told her she had to drive, so I could try and add another couple of birds to the list on the way. Which I did! 3 to be precise. Mistle Thrush at Shenfield Common, Pied Wagtail by the cathedral and Feral Pigeon in the high street! Upon arriving at our destination, on a fine bright day, we quickly added Jackdaw in the car park, before heading to the lake. I was very chuffed to spot a drake Goosander in amongst the Mallards and Tufted Ducks. The resident Great Crested Grebes were located, but curiously there were no geese. NONE! Ambling to the woodland, we ticked the elusive Treecreeper and Jay. After walking by the conservation lake, adding Common. Gull, we were pleased to nab a Redwing just before returning to the car! This was particularly special, as it was new to the patch list! Final count on day one is 33 species!!

No comments:

Post a Comment